January 2, 2007

Black-Eyed Peas, Hog Jowls, and Other New Year's Resolutions


Growing up, our family would always be hustled out the door on December 26th for the annual expedition to grandparent homes. First, we'd generally cruise down I-65 to rural Mobile county for my mother's parents, then after a few days head west to the bustling metropolis of West Monroe, Louisiana, to visit the paternal side. Many New Year's Day celebrations were held in the home of my father's parents, with food ranging from the traditional ham, turkey, and dressing to my grandmother's famous ravioli with homemade gravy. (A brief note: I feel I must explain that I'm not talking about meat and two sides, chicken and biscuits gravy. My grandmother called any kind of sauce "gravy", and in this case, was referring to tomato sauce.) We would always have black-eyed peas and cabbage. Wikipedia claims that the peas represent coins, but I remember that my aunts and uncles said that the peas are for good luck and the cabbage was for money. None of this was ever questioned, of course, and all the kids were implored to "just take a bite." Assuredly we would. Even though there are few smells worse than cabbage boiled for 4 hours, who wanted to go through the course of another year without the mystical power of soul food on your side?

Talking with friends on New Year's Eve, it was remarked that the local Beer and Cut Bait shop was advertising the availability of "hog jowls." Never having heard of this, I assumed it was just some strange Wheeler Lake ritual. Yet, for some this part of the pig is just as essential for New Year's feasts as the stinking pot of cabbage in my grandmother's house. And apparently jowls are growing in popularity and getting more expensive.

Superstitions are a big part of everyone's celebrations. Pretty big list here. I'm sure everyone can find an item or two they'll do each year, perhaps without realizing it. This brings me to the point of resolutions. Everyone makes them, with the possible exceptions of those who resolve not to make resolutions. Some diligent people make lists and write budgets and have no problem adhering to big ideals set upon them (by themselves). But these people probably didn't have to make resolutions in the first place. They're for people like me, the procrastinators and the purchasers of self-hypnosis tapes. But this year, things change. Slowly.

So I'm only making one resolution -- write more. Writing seemed like one of those things that seemed more fun to do than it actually was. I envied the people who could do it with seemingly little effort. But I know it takes practice to get there. So here it is, blog gods. I present my offering to you. No way to get better at it besides doing it.

What should you expect from this? A veritable and variable potluck dinner of life. Be sure to get around the table, though, and try a bit of everything. You don't have to eat everything, but at least try the boiled cabbage. Can't hurt.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I enjoy that hog jowls made the tag at the bottom. Cuz I'm sure that's going to come up all the time.

Greg said...

You never know. Could be a theme.