January 22, 2007

Hey, we still have rights, don't we? I hear they're unalienable.

I may have hypocritical wacko viewpoints sometimes, I'll be the first to admit. I tend to lean socially liberal and financially conservative -- a prototypical libertarian viewpoint on government in society. But even acknowledging my own wacko nature, I really don't see how any American can let some things stand. Last week, our very own Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez, who really ought to know a bit about the Constitution, declared that "there is no express grant of habeas [corpus] in the Constitution." Habeas corpus is basically the right of the individual to not be unnecessarily jailed by a governing body. Article 1, section 9 of the US Constitution declares "the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it."

Mr. Gonzalez argues (against Republican senator Arlen Specter, mind you) that while the Constitution guarantees that habeus corpus cannot be taken away, it never actually grants it to the citizens. Now, this is a bit ridiculous and Specter doesn't fall for it, but it seems very reminescent of debate team practice. Find an argument, no matter how dumb, and defend it until you're blue-faced.

To me, this is exactly the problem of government. It seems as if many of the people are jumping into it because they enjoy the debates and the procedures, but don't really care what they're fighting for. Even if it's just semantics, what is our Republican-nominated Attorney general speaking out against individual rights? How does this help anything?

On another right-related matter, a San Mateo, CA woman is being ordered to remove messages from her home's roof, garage, and yard or face up to $5,000 in fines. While I find her opinions to be a tad nutty (filled with scripture and anti-government diatribes about witchcraft), I'm a bit conflicted about how I feel. It seems like she's not hurting anyone around her, except for maybe in the property value department. I do have to admire her devotion, though. There's no way I would climb on top of my roof with a can of paint to write anything.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have two different opinions here. Gonzalez? An idiot for that argument. Government in San Mateo? Well within its rights. They're following a city ordinance that was probably put there in order to protect property values. Now you know you'd be ticked if random neighbor started putting up huge crazy signs like that.

Greg said...

No I agree that they're well within their rights to fine her. I'm just saying it's not America if there are no crazies.

Mark Hernandef said...

Good site. Just found this. Also, I admire her since crazies don't usually have lawns this well-manicured.

Greg said...

Exactly. Speaking of which, the crazy house across the street from us (has the roof caving in and weeds tearing it apart) also has some guys come by every so often and mow the lawn. What's the deal with crazies and lawns?

Emily said...

Perhaps we should institute some sort of test on the Constitution for politicians to have to take in order to officially take office. Gah!