October 16, 2007

Keep It Up/Hang It Up - October 2007

Keep It Up!

  • Blue Bell Ice Cream. I signed up for your club and you promptly sent me a coupon for a free half-gallon. Can't beat that. Way to go, Blue Bell Ice Cream.
  • The fall. Leaves are changing, the air is getting crisp, I feel like actually leaving my house. I love the fall.
  • Baseball playoffs. The Yankees are out, the Sox are still in. Colorado may not have been around very long, but they're still pretty fun to watch. The Indians are good, too. Just a great championship round.
  • Site-directed Mutagenesis. You're the only experiment I can do on a consistent level anymore. We've been together from the beginning. Thanks, SDM.
Hang It Up!
  • Sunburns. You hurt my face and are now starting to make my face peel, as if I had a bad day at the sandpaper factory.
  • McDonald's Monopoly Game. Every year you tease me with your promises of free fries and easy money. And now I find out that for the last few years you've been playing me for a fool? Shame on you, McDonald's Monopoly game.
  • Yoga quackitude. Doing the stretches makes me feel great, but why does it have to be tainted with the false science of "releasing toxins" and "toning organs"? Can't we just enjoy the way it eases tension and promotes relaxation without jumping straight to "healing energy" and "chi"? Boo, quackitude. We don't need you.
  • Sports pundits who mispronounce New Orleans. It's "OR-luhnz" not "OR-LEE-uhnz" or "or-LEENS". I'm looking at you Chris Berman and Al Michaels. Plus, the Saints stink this year. Get over it.

6 comments:

Griner said...

I always assumed the "flushing toxins" was really just flushing out lactic acid. With massage, people who don't exercise much say they're sore the day after a massage. Our instructor said that was because of the lactic and uric acid being flushed out of the muscles and into the blood stream. But I never liked calling that "toxins," because it does sound quackish. It probably just comes down to people's tolerance for scientific-sounding terms.

Greg said...

But that's another problem. Why can't the body get rid of these things on its own. I haven't been able to find an adequate answer from anywhere saying that any kind of toxin actually accumulates in the body and can be relieved by any means (such as cleanses, massage, enemas, etc). I just wish that some organization would take the time and spend some money on real research rather than another bottle of homeopathic water pills.

Greg said...

This page sheds some light on the matter:

http://answers.cbfl.net/answers/threadview?id=602783

miller draft genuine said...

I also have a bone to pick with the people who say "Nawlins" instead of saying the whole name. How clever.

Also, WHO DAT??? Turning it around. Can we rebound from the football apocalypse?

Geoffrey said...

your "flushing toxins" question could probably be best answered by my sister. She has a BS in Molec Bio, and isn't confused or influenced by the "hippie" aspects of massage therapy.

Also, DAMN YOU McDs!!!! i've been a loyal player. Oh well, I still found out how to get alot of pieces for only a little money.

Jerry Hinnen said...

I think that South Park episode w/ Tommy Chong where Kyle gets all the natural/homeopathic remedies that do nothing is the definitive word on the subject.

Greg, you and Jen will have to have a long L.M. Montgomery discussion at some point. She was telling me just the other day how I needed to read the Anne books. I declined ... never been one for "Portaits of Plucky Rurality" myself, but maybe I'm wrong? What have you thought about them?