February 5, 2007

Still no baking soda volcanoes. (Science fair part II)

So day #2 didn't take long. The winners from last week, along with winners from another school presented their topics with a 10-12 minute Powerpoint presentation. I was in the Physical science category, and got to see some diverse projects from the effects of fly ash in concrete to effects of antioxidants on cholesterol. I was pretty impressed for the most part. How many times in high school did any of you have to present results to a panel of 2-3 scientists? I would have had some pretty bad jitters, I think.

So we were in and out in about an hour with a few breaks to jam free chicken salad sandwiches and Baked Lays down my pie hole. These private school kids know how to host an event.

The whole thing got me thinking about how much I enjoy teaching. I loved giving the kids pointers on how to approach certain problems. And that it's okay not to know the answer to a question. You just have to have a decent idea of how to find the answer. I'm not sure I would be the best in a classroom situation for that very reason. Too many open book tests. But I may try to start tutoring at some point, possibly when I feel comfortable enough in my current job that I could sacrifice a few hours.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

You're a good explainer, so I think you'd be good at tutoring/teaching. Just another option to add to the pile for when you're done with the post-doc.

Geoffrey said...

So it seems you found your passion to go with your degree.

Bill told me yesterday that I should go to Law School after this.

Greg said...

If I can find a way to teach without doing much classroom junk, that would be great.

Griner said...

There's always podcasting...

Unknown said...

I think he's talking about a lucrative way . . .

Greg said...

It only has to be moderately lucrative. I suppose I *could* keep my day job.