September 19, 2007

House craziness


The Mrs. and I have been enjoying the cooler weather by resuming our list of house projects. We've started with tearing out the plaster wall treatment in the master bathroom. It looks ok, but some genius decided that it would be the best way to cover up wallpaper. And now the wallpaper is starting to peel at the corners. I've felt like the HGTV version of Indiana Jones, peeling back layers of old attempts at interior design to get to the pure clean drywall I know is somewhere underneath. The house was built in 1961, so styles have changed. I've been using a large putty knife to cut into the plaster topcoat, then work it in to scrape off everything I can. Then I spray the area down with an enzyme-based wallpaper to get rid of the remaining adhesive paper backing. As far as I can tell the layers were added thusly, from the bottom up:
1) bright yellow paint
2) bright peach paint
3) burgundy and green striped wallpaper (seriously, this stuff is atrocious. I need to add pictures. I found the picture above on a website as a representative image of the process, not necessarily the look.)
4) dark forest green paint
5) cream textured plaster (definitely the most annoying part of the whole thing)

So my fingers are sore and blistered, and I think that I am allergic to the enzyme compound, but this mess is coming off the walls. Then comes fresh paint, a new medicine cabinet/mirror, and new shelves.

But this weekend, we'll be headed to Atlanta for a night to get out of town, see some sights, etc.

1 comment:

Geoffrey said...

good luck dude. I hate stupid people with their stupid ideas on how to cover up household problems. I've currently got a hole in my wall because of the guy that lived here before me.