February 12, 2008

Mid-February Miscellania

Just a few points I wanted to mention...

1) Not sure who all has heard, but Valerie's dad has officially closed his vet clinic and has begun his semi-retirement. We'd all heard rumors that this was coming, but the reality hit pretty suddenly. As a result, we have come into the possession of one black cat (Queenie) and two elderly mutt dogs (Susie and Lacey). So now we officially have more pets than we can handle. Though I think Oscar is enjoying his new role as pack leader. He leads them in his never-ending crusade against the fat mutt dog who likes to come by every morning. I'll post pics later this week.

2) Why do the Coke and Pepsi products in every grocery store have to be separated by the generic stuff? Do they get into fights at night and the store brands act as mediators? This would make an interesting movie premise for those East Asian Pixar rip-off companies.

3) Not too much going on in our lives right now. We pulled up some gross carpet in our office, hoping to find hardwood underneath. Unfortunately, we found strange wood laminate from the 70s. So the next project is new floors for that room. Woot.

4) Almost time for spring planting season. I think I'm gonna try tomatoes and zucchini again this year, but I think I want to add some new plants. Any ideas? The zucchinis were going great last year until they got hit by a blight, and were gone within a week or two.

I'll continue with some more questions later. My wife has built up quite a few in my absence.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It's sadly been so long since we closed off the grossly floored room, that I am beginning to forget that there is another room off the kitchen. We should probably get on the flooring project soon . . .

Bill said...

I’m a big proponent of herbs. You could grow rosemary and thyme. There both pretty easy to grow and do well down here.

As far as veggies go, how about cucumbers? They’re great in salads with the tomatoes. If you want other types of squash you could do a summer or pattypan squash for variety.

Greg said...

I've got a good rosemary bush going, but some other herbs are a pretty good idea. Cucumbers make me sick, but I'm all for trying another kind of squash.

Unknown said...

Peppers do well in Alabama. Grow hot ones. Then you can let cowokers dare you to eat them for $5. That also does well in Alabama.